The Professional Association of Resident Physicians of Alberta (PARA) is the voice of the more than 1,700 resident physicians who provide round-the-clock care to Albertans in outpatient facilities and acute care hospitals.
PARA is a non-profit association representing physicians completing further training in a residency program, through:
- advocating excellence in education and patient care, while striving to achieve optimal working conditions and personal well-being for its members
- supporting individual resident physicians through education, leadership and well-being initiatives
PARA has been advocating on behalf of Alberta’s resident physicians since 1975.
What we do
PARA negotiates a contract on behalf of resident physicians that deals with the non-academic aspects of residency training, such as:
- well-being benefits
- stipends (call, practice, chief, etc.)
- on-call service expectations
- working conditions
PARA strives to ensure compliance with the terms of this contract.
PARA enhances resident physician well-being by organizing social events, information seminars, workshops, and research.
PARA advocates for individual resident physicians with professional or academic challenges.
PARA advocates on behalf of resident physicians as a whole at all levels with various organizations:
- Locally with the Universities, Faculties of Medicine, and Alberta Health Services
- Provincially with the Alberta Government, Alberta Medical Association, and College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta; and
- Nationally (through Resident Doctors of Canada) with the Canadian Medical Association, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, College of Family Physicians of Canada, Medical Council of Canada, Federal Government, and Canadian Medical Protective Association.