The Resident Physician of the Month Award is meant to recognize and reward outstanding resident physicians who make exceptional contributions in their academic field while still maintaining their work/life balance.
Interested in nominating someone? Fill out a nomination form here.
Dr. Bani Falcon
University of Calgary
I was born and raised in Mexico and came to Canada at the age of 11. I grew up in Waterloo, Ontario where I completed my undergraduate degree in Biomedical Sciences at the University of Waterloo. I then completed a Masters degree in Reproductive Immunology at Queen’s University and moved to Ottawa to complete my medical degree. After four years of long distance, my husband and I couples-matched to the University of Calgary; I to pediatrics and him to ENT. We have a beautiful, active and inquisitive 20-month old son who brings so much joy into our lives.
I am currently in my fourth year of Pediatrics training at the Alberta Children’s Hospital and am planning to practice full scope general pediatrics. In residency, I developed an interest in QI research as it pertains to patient access to care and designed and developed the first Canadian study evaluating referral patterns to specialized eating disorders treatment centers. Aside from clinical work, I enjoy teaching and mentoring medical students and junior resident physicians. Outside of medicine, I enjoy classical music, going for hikes and spending time with my family!
Along my journey in medicine, I am grateful to have met some of the most inspirational individuals whose heroic selflessness do not cease to motivate and inspire me. Most of all, I am immensely blessed by my husband and by my family, who have shown me unconditional love and encouragement through the many years of training and the challenges that motherhood brings during residency. To my son, Isaiah Alexander, you are my greatest and most special accomplishment. Thank you for teaching me to how to be a mother and a more empathetic and caring future pediatrician.
Colleagues had this to say about Dr. Falcon:
“I have known Dr. Falcon since she started her pediatric residency at the Alberta Children’s Hospital in 2015. Over the past several years I have witness an exemplary display of professionalism couple with outstanding devotion to the practice of medicine in the context of her residency training.
Over this time she has managed to continue to perform her duties at the highest standards and also be part of a fantastic family, becoming a mother. This accomplishment exemplifies her ability to balance the life of a busy pediatric resident physician with that of a wife and mother. More impressive is the fact that Dr. Falcon also started and completed a research project (Referrals, Knowledge and Perception Patterns of the Calgary Eating Disorder Program (CEDP) from conceptualization to publication in the Journal of the Canadian Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.
Dr. Falcon has shown to be a knowledgeable, collaborative professional, with a king scholastic approach to her work. From the personal point of view, I have found Bani to be a fantastic, well-rounded, warm human being, I feel very privileged to count myself among the individuals that collaborated with
with such. ”
Congratulations Dr. Bani Falcon!
- Dr. Danika Leung, June 2019
- Dr. Stacey Holbrook, May 2019
- Dr. Annie Hutchison. April 2019
- Dr. Kelvin Au, March 2019
- Dr. Collin Luk, February 2019
- Dr. Fareed Kamar, January 2019
- Dr. Wasim Khan, December 2018
- Dr. Melissa MacPhearson, November 2018
- Drs. Kristen Timm and Vanessa Rogers, November 2018
- Dr. Joshua DeSerres, October 2018
- Dr. Syeda Abbas, October 2018
- Dr. Lester Liao, September 2018
- Dr. Susan Poon, September 2018
- Dr. Grayson Beecher, August 2018
- Dr. Nick Papalia, August 2018
- Dr. Danielle Dumestre, July 2018
- Dr. Sara Horne, July 2018
- Dr. Alanna Achen, June 2018
- Dr. Valerie Hurdle, June 2018
- Dr. Abdul Al Saadon, May 2018
- Dr. Theo Mobach, April 2018
- Dr. Martin Tieu, March 2018
- Dr. Umair Iftikhar, February 2018
- Dr. Anas Alrohimi, January 2018
- Dr. Danya Traboulsi, December 2017
- Dr. Christopher White, November 2017
- Dr. Malika Ladha, October 2017
- Dr. Cassandra Hirt-Walsh, September 2017
- Drs. “SCHRAMD”, August 2017
- Dr. Jori Hardin, July 2017