The Resident Physician of the Month Award is meant to recognize and reward outstanding resident physicians who make exceptional contributions in their academic field while still maintaining their work/life balance.
Interested in nominating someone? Fill out a nomination form here.
Dr. Jaylynn Arcand
University of Calgary
I was born and raised in Saskatoon, SK. I completed my undergraduate degree at the University of Saskatchewan and pursued my MD after being captivated by Oliver Sack’s depictions of clinical neuroscience. My fascination with the mindful brain continues through my residency training in psychiatry. I am grateful for the ability to work together with patients and for the opportunity to witness the resilience of so many people. I am passionate about translational research, clinical innovation, global health and cultural partnership. I balance my career with a deep love for my family, my dog, my cat, frequent trips to the mountains, regular Catan nights and proudly using all of my vacation days. I have found my success with the work/life balance is best measured by whether my spider plant is growing.
Colleagues had this to say about Dr. Arcand:
“Jaylynn has a focus on global health, including how to support underserved populations, completing a certificate in global health prior to starting residency. Since starting residency, she has been one of the key resident physicians involved in a partnership between the University of Calgary and the Catholic University of Health and Allied Sciences in Tanzania. Last year she was part of a team that taught over 400 medical students during their trip.
Currently she continues to lead research activities for the project and is supporting her more junior peers who will be traveling, for the first time, with her. Jaylynn is extremely hard working, thoughtful and works to support her fellow resident physicians, including ensuring they feel safe and heard. Jaylynn is not only deserving of this award for the countless hours she has devoted to improving mental health education, but also because she rolemodels creating balance and streamlining tasks to ensure time for wellness for everyone.”
Congratulations Dr. Jaylynn Arcand!
- Dr. Danika Leung, June 2019
- Dr. Stacey Holbrook, May 2019
- Dr. Annie Hutchison. April 2019
- Dr. Kelvin Au, March 2019
- Dr. Collin Luk, February 2019
- Dr. Fareed Kamar, January 2019
- Dr. Wasim Khan, December 2018
- Dr. Melissa MacPhearson, November 2018
- Drs. Kristen Timm and Vanessa Rogers, November 2018
- Dr. Joshua DeSerres, October 2018
- Dr. Syeda Abbas, October 2018
- Dr. Lester Liao, September 2018
- Dr. Susan Poon, September 2018
- Dr. Grayson Beecher, August 2018
- Dr. Nick Papalia, August 2018
- Dr. Danielle Dumestre, July 2018
- Dr. Sara Horne, July 2018
- Dr. Alanna Achen, June 2018
- Dr. Valerie Hurdle, June 2018
- Dr. Abdul Al Saadon, May 2018
- Dr. Theo Mobach, April 2018
- Dr. Martin Tieu, March 2018
- Dr. Umair Iftikhar, February 2018
- Dr. Anas Alrohimi, January 2018
- Dr. Danya Traboulsi, December 2017
- Dr. Christopher White, November 2017
- Dr. Malika Ladha, October 2017
- Dr. Cassandra Hirt-Walsh, September 2017
- Drs. “SCHRAMD”, August 2017
- Dr. Jori Hardin, July 2017