The Resident Physician of the Month Award is meant to recognize and reward outstanding resident physicians who make exceptional contributions in their academic field while still maintaining their work/life balance.
Interested in nominating someone? Fill out a nomination form here.
Dr. Danika Leung
PGY 2, Family Medicine
University of Alberta
First, I feel truly honoured for the nomination and selection – what a surprise and an encouragement!
Currently, I am a PGY2 finishing my final month of Family Medicine residency at the University of Alberta!
I was born in Hong Kong, but since moving here at the age of one, Edmonton has been my beloved home and community. I completed all my schooling in Edmonton before going on to pursue medical school at the University of Alberta.
During medical school and residency, I developed a strong passion for patients at the end of life. I find deep satisfaction in helping patients and families navigate the last chapter of their life journey, transforming it from a time of fear to one of security and meaning. In July 2019, I am incredibly excited to be continuing at the University of Alberta as a resident physician in the Palliative Care Enhanced Skills program. Eventually, I hope to combine my passion for palliative care and global health, by finding creative ways to deliver palliative care to marginalized populations, both domestically and internationally.
In my free time I enjoy reading, board games, mentoring young people and volunteering overseas. The 10 months I spent in Edson in medical school stimulated my appetite for the outdoors – and I continue to enjoy running, biking and cross-country skiing. I am actively involved in my church community and the CMDS (Christian Medical and Dental Society) resident chapter, who collectively have been essential in supporting my personal wellness during residency.
Again, thank you for the nomination. Shout-out to my fellow family medicine resident physicians who will be graduating this month – congratulations, we made it, team!
Colleagues had this to say about Dr. Danika Leung:
“Danika is passionate about providing palliative care to patients with terminal illnesses. Danika took the initiative to organize a Pallium Canada LEAP Course in Edmonton so that fellow resident physicians could have the opportunity to learn more about palliative care. The course brought together resident physicians with inter-professional team members, including family physicians, nurses and pharmacists. While Danika contributes to our residency program through academic activities like the LEAP course, she is also a kind person who invests in friendships with her co-resident physicians.”
Congratulations Dr. Danika Leung!
- Dr. Stacey Holbrook, May 2019
- Dr. Annie Hutchison. April 2019
- Dr. Kelvin Au, March 2019
- Dr. Collin Luk, February 2019
- Dr. Fareed Kamar, January 2019
- Dr. Wasim Khan, December 2018
- Dr. Melissa MacPhearson, November 2018
- Drs. Kristen Timm and Vanessa Rogers, November 2018
- Dr. Joshua DeSerres, October 2018
- Dr. Syeda Abbas, October 2018
- Dr. Lester Liao, September 2018
- Dr. Susan Poon, September 2018
- Dr. Grayson Beecher, August 2018
- Dr. Nick Papalia, August 2018
- Dr. Danielle Dumestre, July 2018
- Dr. Sara Horne, July 2018
- Dr. Alanna Achen, June 2018
- Dr. Valerie Hurdle, June 2018
- Dr. Abdul Al Saadon, May 2018
- Dr. Theo Mobach, April 2018
- Dr. Martin Tieu, March 2018
- Dr. Umair Iftikhar, February 2018
- Dr. Anas Alrohimi, January 2018
- Dr. Danya Traboulsi, December 2017
- Dr. Christopher White, November 2017
- Dr. Malika Ladha, October 2017
- Dr. Cassandra Hirt-Walsh, September 2017
- Drs. “SCHRAMD”, August 2017
- Dr. Jori Hardin, July 2017
- Dr. Launny Lowden, June 2017
- Dr. Marcie Veitch, June 2017
- Dr. Aaron Hockley, May 2017
- Dr. Ravi Seyed Mahmoud. April 2017
- Dr. Jill Stone, March 2017
- Dr. Eric Wong, February 2017
- Dr. Simone Lebeuf, January 2017
- Dr. Daniel Sawler, December 2016
- Dr. Daniel Fok, November 2016
- Dr. Janet Roberts, October 2016
- Dr. John Lam, September 2016
- Dr. Shane Hoeber, August 2016
- Dr. Abdulaziz Al Sultan, July 2016